This week we're in love with bread pudding. If you have a few crusty old loaves lying around your kitchen, then we can show you how to turn them into something completely decadent, and super easy.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ loaf bread cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan over low heat, warm milk, cream, butter, vanilla, sugar and salt. Continue cooking just until butter melts; cool. While that is happening, butter a 4-to-6-cup baking dish and fill it with cubed bread.
- Add eggs to cooled dairy mixture and whisk; pour mixture over bread. Let the bread soak for about 20 minutes for a more custardy pudding. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until custard is set but slightly wobbly and edges of bread have browned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Pair with caramel or chocolate sauce and your favorite ice cream.